Monday, January 14, 2008

Project DarkStar: light at the end of the tunnel?

Ever since I finished the Game Builder plug-in for NetBeans Mobility I've been looking for ways to further improve NetBeans and make it fit with Cotopia's goal of dominating the world (as far as mobile multi-player games go anyway). Then I read an article on java.sun.com about Project DarkStar - an open-source multi-player game server. Now there is something that we could use. Our current server implementation is based on EJB3 spec and GlassFish and works like a charm (currently we're handling nearly 2000 games a day) so no problems there. However, I am an explorer, rather than a "if it ain't broken don't fix it" kind of guy, and this DarkStar thing really strikes me as something worth exploring. So I continued in my new tradition:

If it's cool - write a NetBeans plugin for it.

I've exchanged a few emails with Jeff Kesselman (DarkStar lead) and I am happy to say that I am nearly finished with the plug-in which features:

  • Server management
  • Application management
  • .. and some code templates to make DarkStar work with mobile phones over HTTP
The whole thing will be presented at Java Mobile & Embedded Developer Days in SF in a few days by a friend of mine from Sun (NetBeans Mobility engineer) Karol Harezlak.

How does this fit together with Cotopia? Well, Project DarkStar is capable of handling the back end for Massively Muiltiplayer games, and who said that Cotopia was going to always be about 1 on 1 play? While we have more 2 player games in development (BallShot, Poker, Go, Checkers ..) we're looking into the future and see masses of players all interacting together in a new kind of game :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really good article. I have been following your blog for last 3 months. You have good knowledge
on Mobile(cell phone) Industry and happenings. Please continue the good work. Thank you.