Saturday, January 31, 2009

spring - hibernate - ejb3

I am looking for work since my contract at Object Consulting in Sydney is up in two weeks. There are some interesting jobs out there but very few. Australia, it seems, has been hit by the global crisis pretty hard. Given the current situation I am slowly giving up on finding myself something in the Mobile area and there are very few jobs for Swing/GUI developers as well.
So, as usual, we're left with crappy jobs for insurance companies and banks, chasing around and persisting the oh-so-important transactional business data. How exciting. But man's gotta do what man's gotta do. Looking at the market, EJB3 (with which I have some experience) is losing to Spring (in employer demand at least) and/or Hibernate. Pressed by reality I've decided to start with Spring and I've gone through a few tutorials. So far I am not too happy with the fact that Spring functionality seems to be configured by XML - I love XML for passing data around but pretty much hate it for everything else. Hopefully as I dig in deeper I'll find that EVERYTHING can be done through annotations :)

No comments: