Monday, October 29, 2007

Apple and Java 6 - I am not getting a MacBook Pro

I am looking to replace an old laptop and get myself a brand new development machine. At first it seemed a no-brainer:

"I'll just get one of those oh-so pretty MacBook Pros"

My wife has owned an iBook for around 2 years. She even paid the money to update to OSX Tiger, and bough the .Mac yearly subscription for the 3rd time now. So despite a few issues she is clearly quite happy with her Mac and continues to throw money at Apple.
Until recently I thought I'd get an apple as well but I changed my mind very quickly in the light of recent events and after a bit of investigation.

So here is why I will not be getting a Mac:

1. I am a Java developer (one of about 5 million apparently) and there is no Java 6 on OSX, not even in Leopard

That's it.

I guess I could buy the MacBook Pro and run Linux (which I've been running so far on my Toshiba Tecra), but for the money I can get better hardware elsewhere. The value for me is in having a MacBook AND OSX. If OSX is out due to lack of Java support, the deal is off.

I'll not make an actual purchase for about 3 months and perhaps in that time Steve will come to his senses and change the company attitude towards Java developers and users in general. And now BEHOLD as I will conclude this blog with a poem of my own making.

Again old saying seems to hold
That all that glitters is not gold
With OSX less Java 6
I'd lose my job, start turning tricks
Apple needs to listen well
Else I'll end up with a Dell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats not good for Apple and Java :-(, maybe time to switch to Python?